Subject: [Leica] Bill Pierce on the Leica today
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Wed Jul 13 12:40:38 2005

On 7/13/05 7:38 AM, "B. D. Colen" <bdcolen@comcast.net> typed:

> I have to disagree, Mark - Unobtrusiveness is an issue in any shooting
> situation in which you don't want to become part of the story, in which you
> don't want to be shooting people reacting to you shooting. The last thing I
> want when shooting a wedding is having people aware of me. Obviously they
> often are, but the less they are, the better. But of course this comes down
> to personal photographic style, vision, whatever. And there's more than one
> way to shoot anything. :-)

BD perhaps I have delusions of whatever but it seemed to me that what ever I
would do whatever camera I'd use or position I'd take, attitude or whatever,
corner in the room I'd hide in, post in a church I'd lurk behind it seemed
to me that everyone in any room in a wedding I'd shoot was hyper aware of me
at most times. Reasons? I don't know for one you're not in their family and
they know it. Another perhaps that to get the kind of shots you need to get
volume wise and quality wise you can try to disguise the "intensity" in
which you  shoot but I think its just impossible. It's like it's that Crumb
cover of Fritz the Cat goes to China, a James Bond takeoff as I recall.
There are teems of half foot mice and you're a full one foot cat. To think
for one second that every one in the situation is not keenly aware of you I
think is positive thinking to the over extent. I also came to think that
making a huge effort to "blend in" to such s family situation is kind of
negative. Kind of rudely presumptions. You're not in their family you're
"the help".
Also I think I came to feel that a certain professional aloofness helps. I
think Ted said stuff a few weeks ago which wouldn't agree with this.

In a wedding it has gotten to be that everyone is playing with their cameras
and your the one whose a little bit more on top of how to work yours. That's
ok I guess.

Mark Rabiner
Photography
Portland Oregon