Subject: [Leica] The great thing about teaching a workshop...
From: red735i at earthlink.net (Frank Filippone)
Date: Sun Jul 10 15:02:59 2005

Isn't this a bit over dramatized?  It appears to be a group of College level
guys messing around in an apartment, with an older female having a
discussion in 1 shot.  We do not know that the shots are not studio set ups.
We also do not know the shots were not taken on an 11x14 camera or a Brownie
Hawkeye or a Canon digi-whatever.

I suspect the lady that took the shots was not too worried about "getting
jumped"....in the vicious sense.....  She is generally shooting from the
floor level up to the subjects.

The shots are nice, and evocative of a certain period of photography ( the
30"s?).  Yes, well composed ( no cropping is assumed in that comment) and
technically well done.  But "it".. I am not certain.  I would like to see
more of her work, and this was a good teaser for me....

Frank Filippone
red735i@earthlink.net

What are you talking about, Philippe? And what successful documentary
photographer of the last 40 years, working in that kind of fluid situation,
shot or shoots with 2 1/4 and has the luxury of revisualization? This isn't
shooting on a movie set - it's shooting in a situation where the
photographer has to spend as much time previsualizing whether he or she is
going to get jumped, as he or she has time to spend on previsualizing the
shot.

B. D.

Replies: Reply from bdcolen at comcast.net (B. D. Colen) ([Leica] The great thing about teaching a workshop...)