Subject: [Leica] looking for a lighter tripod
From: red735i at earthlink.net (Frank Filippone)
Date: Fri Jul 8 17:14:32 2005

It has always been my opinion that the weight can be better saved by
inventing a lighter head.  Lighter legs are easy: Carbon Fiber.

The head I lust is the Bogen 410 / Manfrotto 3275.  It is a 3 way head,
small and pretty light.  Uses a quick release.  Legs?  Pick one.... anything
light and pretty rigid from the Bogen, Hanuba, or Gitzo lines.  I have a
1228 ( it is too big for a Leica M6, but OK for a Hasselblad.)  The lower
model ( I forget which) is OK for the Leica, and probably for the Hasselblad
as well.

Together you will save a bit over the 7 pounds you now carry.  Maybe you
will get to around 4 1/2 pounds.  Maybe 4, but that is about it.

There is 1 more possibility.. wooden legs with the Bogen head.  Light,
strong, and probably a lot cheaper than the CF legs.  Suggest for new a
Calumet, or a Berlebach ( if you can find them anymore), or a Ries.  Used is
the other choice, and there the luck of the Irish must be with you....

Frank Filippone
red735i@earthlink.net