Subject: [Leica] just souped...
From: ericm at pobox.com (Eric)
Date: Thu Jul 7 16:24:32 2005

Mark:

>There's an issue where you cant go 1:3 with Tmax 100 so I'd not use that
>combination at all and I'd not dilute it less.

I've never used Tmax with Xtol, but my understanding is that you can't go
less than the 100 ml recommended volume per roll.  So if I were going to
develop Tmax at 1:3, I could only do 2 rolls at a time in a liter tank.  As
long as I can get Acros to mostly behave, I'm not tempted to try.  :)

In the summer, I shoot Acros outside and Neopan 400 inside.  In the winter,
it's usually Neopan 400 outside and Neopan 1600 inside.  I suspect that by
the time I use up my current supply of Acros, it'll be time to forget about
it 'til late next spring.

Something that surprised me is how tight the grain is on NPH.  That's Fuji's
400 speed portrait film:

http://canid.com/johanna/puppy_plate.html

This was shot by window light.  f2 at 1/250th or something like that.  I
made a 12x18 print of it.  The (lack of) grain is phenominal.  About like
the grain I get in 8x10s with Neopan 400.  Maybe even less.  An 8x10 of NPH
looks about like the grain I get with an 8x10 of Acros.  Dang color dye
clouds.  Wish they'd be as stable as silver.  :)

--
Eric
http://canid.com/

Message from mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner) ([Leica] just souped...)