Subject: [Leica] The DMR is here in Denver
From: bill at photobynelsch.com (Bill)
Date: Tue Jul 5 22:09:39 2005

I've been lurking low these many years awaiting a chance to make a
contribution. I got on Rich Pinto's (Photo Village)  order list probably the
first day he announced that he was taking orders and I've been bugging him
mercilessly for the last year and even went so far as to pick up a 21-35
from him just to lock my place in line. :)

Initial impressions:
Right out of the box the device went together just as advertised, it
probably only took a couple of minutes and it only took that long because I
was worshiping it as if it were the Holy Grail.  It is remarkably similar to
the motor drive in size and shape; the hand strap fits my hand perfectly and
for those R8/9 users who have used the motor drive, it will feel right.  I
have posted my very first pictures right out of the box, appropriately of
the box:  http://photobynelsch.smugmug.com/gallery/639821.  (Unfortunately
Smugmug only allows .jpg files and the photo of the flower pot was shot in
DNG.  I noticed that I had blown the highlights a bit, but at that point I
had only had the back for less than an hour.)   To be fair, I haven't used
the R8 since I got my LeiCanon 10D two years ago and I need to re-acclimate
my mechanical skills with the camera, hence the absence of meaningful
content of the sample pictures.

I will say that the controls on the back are fairly intuitive.  I had read
the instruction manual several months ago when it was first posted and I
guess I retained most of the major features.  At the risk of sounding
prejudiced, it is clear that the menu was developed by German engineers - it
is very logical and orderly, and, just a little bit stiff.  There are a
number of items on the menu list and you can scroll up and down - but, if
you are at the very end, you have to scroll through each item back to the
beginning rather than being able to go in a circular fashion, from the last
item to the first in one jump.  One of the really cool features is that you
can define three different 'users' which allows quick switching from, for
example, a fast B&W mode to a slow color mode without having to open the
menu and scrolling through all the options.

Downloading could be problematic in that you need a powered FireWire
connection and unfortunately my Sony Vaio laptop is not.  I did discover
that I can use my power converter from my PhaseOne back just fine but this
does add more things to carry.  I suppose I'll have to pick up a card
reader.  I have been used to the Canon work flow which was fairly automatic
both in file numbering and file creation and the switch to treating the
camera as an additional drive and copying files will add a couple of steps
to my work flow.  The copying, however, is fast.  And you can manipulate the
images directly on the SD card from your computer which is handy.

I had thought that I had read that the R8 required a two step turn on
process but that doesn't seem to be the case.  A quick touch of the trigger
powers it up quite quickly.

I'll report and post more as time allows.  My dog is getting a little tired
of being ignored tonight :)

Bill in Denver.