Subject: [Leica] NYT Public Editor on Press Photography
From: scott at adrenaline.com (Scott McLoughlin)
Date: Sun Jul 3 01:00:35 2005

Interesting recommendation (labeling) as far as it goes.

OTOH, photography, drawing, writing and even hard science are all highly
selective human activities.

Representations of reality are what they are - selective representations
and
human produced artifacts.  So much of reality is always left on the cutting
room floor, cropped out, in the waste basket, a filing cabinet or a hard
disk,
or simply never examined or represented in the first place.

That said, I don't think we need drop into extreme relativism or solipsism.
Photography is a wonderful and important medium whose strengths and
weaknesses stand up against most others.

Scott