Subject: [Leica] 21.4 meters across and only f/8 !
From: henningw at archiphoto.com (Henning Wulff)
Date: Thu Jun 30 16:33:50 2005

>>  >http://www.gmto.org/tech_overview
>>>best,simon jessurun
>>
>>Isn't that about 25m across (3 x 8.4m) and a focal length of 18m
>>which results in approx. f/0.7?
>>
>>f/1 and larger (smaller number) are usual apertures in large mirror
>>telescopes.
>>
>>--
>>    *            Henning J. Wulff
>>   /|\      Wulff Photography & Design
>>  /###\   mailto:henningw@archiphoto.com
>>  |[ ]|     http://www.archiphoto.com
>>
>"The final focal ratio at the straight Gregorian focus will be f/8.4
>with an image scale of one arcsecond per millimeter"

I don't see that on the page for which you posted the link, but in
any case that quote refers to auxiliary optical units which will
increase the focal length. The mirrors themselves are much faster, as
the data on the link noted.

--

Message from henningw at archiphoto.com (Henning Wulff) ([Leica] 21.4 meters across and only f/8 !)
Message from s.jessurun95 at chello.nl (animal) ([Leica] 21.4 meters across and only f/8 !)