Subject: [Leica] where oh where is the DMR?
From: Frank.Dernie at btinternet.com (Frank Dernie)
Date: Tue Jun 28 21:07:37 2005

Hi Vic,
I am not sure the actual design is hard but designing a good one that
is inexpensive to manufacture probably is. The M3 was more expensive
than the M2 mainly because of its more elaborate and accurate
rangefinder, not the film counter! I do not believe they standardised
on the cheaper one because it was more popular - nearly twice as many
M3s sold than M2s, but because it reduced costs. I would still bet it
costs many times as much to make as the Cosina one.
Frank