Subject: [Leica] Minolta Dimage Scan Elite 5400 + software?
From: leica at rcmckee.com (R. Clayton McKee)
Date: Mon Jun 27 19:06:38 2005

On 28 Jun 2005 at 1:06, Luis Ripoll wrote:

> Thanks again for your comments, but equipment depends of the final
use we
> need. On my case, for the moment, I don't print my pictures, I
think that
> for printing are better the traditional chemical procedures.
Scanning I use
> only for internet and preview purposes, and for this the Minolta
Dimage Scan
> Elite 5400 II is not absolutely necessary and my Epson 3170 maybe
is
> sufficient.

Absolutely true.  In fact I'd say that if the 5400 (or equivalent)
and the huge files aren't absolutely necessary then they are
absolutely UNnecessary.  For screen display and preview purposes
there are MUCH more cost- and labor-effective ways to get what you
need done.

As it happens most of my work is color for publication, transmitted
electronically, or it's black and white,  in which case I, too, have
the traditional wet chemical darkroom.  I spent years learning to be
a good printer and am just as happy using that skill and scanning
from prints.  Should I, for some reason, need a color print, I have 3
Frontier systems within walking distance of my front door, two of
which are in "we never close" drugstores. This happens maybe once or
twice a year.  I don't even OWN a color printer.
--

R. Clayton McKee                               www.rcmckee.com
Photojournalist                            rcmckee@rcmckee.com

Message from luisripoll at telefonica.net (Luis Ripoll) ([Leica] Minolta Dimage Scan Elite 5400 + software?)