Subject: [Leica] Where to go?
From: alaxsxaq at gmail.com (Glenn Stauffer)
Date: Sun Jun 26 19:10:15 2005

On 6/26/05, Craig Semetko <csemetko@earthlink.net> wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> Okay, I'm in a very fortunate position where I have some time off, some
> spare change in my pocket, and no one's schedule to keep but my own.
> Does anyone have any ideas on a great city or cities for street
> photography outside the U.S.? Hopefully ones where the exchange rate is
> not too painful on the U.S. dollar?

My vote is for Mexico.  Last year, my wife and I made a trip to
Chiapas and Oaxaca with a few days in Mexico City at the end of the
trip.  We found it to be a culturally and visually fascinating and
beautiful place and  cannot wait to return.

There is a lot to recommend Mexico - it's close; it's cheap;
American-friendly; fascinating culture; vibrant street life; wonderful
safe and accessible smaller cities and a great transportation system
with cheap, plentiful bus transport - everything from luxurious
long-distance buses to creaky, smelly, crazy packed, dirt cheap third
class busses that will take you to every small village in the
countryside.

Pick a city like San Cristobal (Chiapas) or Oaxaca.  Find a nice,
inexpensive hotel, explore the city for a day or two and then take day
trips to the surrounding towns (especially on market day).

Painting things in broad strokes, I found Mexican cities to be filled
with life like I've never experienced before.  Such a dramatic
difference from cities in America - and I've been to all the larger
cities here.

The Mexican people we met were all very friendly and we felt very safe
the entire trip with the exception of Mexico City - which is still
worth a visit.

I also suggest you consider Guatemala.  Do a google image search - it
is a fascinating, beautiful place.

--Glenn