Subject: [Leica] Baseplate for M7
From: smcj35 at yahoo.com (Colin J)
Date: Fri Jun 24 06:48:15 2005

Thanks Allen,

I very much like the look of the RRS plate.

I use a Leica M Grip (genuine Leica # 14 405) and
do a lot of tripod work.  Unfortunately I have
been very disappointed with the lack of rigidity
of the camera when I connect the M Grip to the
tripod head.

The M Grip does not fit snugly to the baseplate
except at the end where it screws in to the M7
baseplate.  There is a gap of about 3mm (1/8
inch) between the M Grip and the base plate at
the unsecured end.  The base of the M Grip
flexes, introducing a lack of rigidity and a risk
of vibration.

I am concerned that the RRS baseplate may suffer
from the same problem, given that it attaches at
one end to the M7 baseplate's tripod bush.  So I
am thinking of buying an extra camera baseplate
and permanently attaching either the M Grip or
the RRS plate with adhesive and/or screws.

I will then have one standard baseplate and one
that is permanently modified for use on a tripod.

Any comments or thoughts would be welcome.

Colin