Subject: [Leica] 20d/d70/rd1
From: leowesson at charter.net (leo)
Date: Wed Jun 22 19:46:34 2005

you may find this interesting, maybe not.

was having dinner and wine with some friends last night.  one of em,
adam, had just gotten a 20d and was using a 45pc lens to shoot with.
we got to looking at some of the images on my laptop and discovered
that they weren't very sharp. the canon pc lenses have a reputation
as being very sharp and we were surprised.   got to playing with the
20d/45pc combination and found that it was really hard to focus
accurately with it.  like, really, really hard.  one thing led to
another and soon we had a 20d with a 17-85 is lens and the 45 pc, a
d70 with a 50 1.4 and an 18 -70 and an rd1 with a 50 summicron on the
table, shooting some comparisons.

adam was shooting the tests and he is not a leica guy, so, if he has
a prejudice it would be toward his 20d.  some of adam's comments were:

i can't focus this pc lens, it's hard to see with the 20d finder.
autofocus is much easier.
the d70 shutter release is easier to release than the canon. (we
found that with the non is lens there was more camera shake with the
canon than the nikon)
this rd1 is quiet.  the summicron is sharp.
the zooms are flat.

all shots were shot on a tripod at ei400 and processed with cs2 at
whatever default settings were in the raw processor: all was set on
auto whatever.  all zooms were set around 50mm and everything was
shot pretty much as open as was allowed by the lens. the 1.4 might
have been stopped down to f/2.   not a scientific comparison, but a
real life one.

george was the very patient model.

http://homepage.mac.com/leosarv/testing/PhotoAlbum124.html

thanks