Subject: [Leica] B&H
From: summicron at bellsouth.net (Frank F. Farmer)
Date: Mon Jun 20 07:18:30 2005

Yeah, I think we have the Piggly Wiggly in Memphis to thank for being able
to pick your own groceries.  I believe that was the first grocer to move to
such a system.

Frank

From: Victor Rubin <vroger@gmail.com>
Date: 2005/06/20 Mon AM 09:00:17 CDT
To: lug@leica-users.org

Mark wrote:
I believe that this system was the norm in most large department stores
from the 1880's into the 1920's.  It went out of fashion for these stores
for the same reason that the old grocery-store norm of going to the counter
and ordering died out:  folks wished to go the stock and pick for
themselves the items they wished to order.

Interesting... this system is motorized, however, and the store is
huge. The volume of business they do and the number of customers seen
is staggering- vroger