Subject: [Leica] Lens inspiration
From: langeratcarleton at gmail.com (Mark Langer)
Date: Thu Jun 16 09:16:04 2005

Optically, it is the same as the Sonnar.  Mechanically, there is
considerable difference.  The prewar Zeiss Sonnars are brass and
chrome, and are a delight to handle.  Wartime Sonnars have the glass
in aluminum mounts, which are considerably inferior to the earlier
lenses in build.  Nevertheless, a good sample can still be satisfying.
 The Jupiters really don't have the quality control of the Zeiss
lenses.  A good sample can be an incredible bargain -- the only
problem is that you may have to go through several to get a good
example.  This is no big deal if you are patient -- you can buy and
sell them on eBay easily.

Mark