Subject: [Leica] Re: Erwin's Latest
From: langeratcarleton at gmail.com (Mark Langer)
Date: Tue Jun 14 10:13:21 2005

It is true that technique and technology have a role to play, but in
the hands of someone who really doesn't know what he is doing, they
are of little help in creating a distinguished photo.  The
transforming moment for me in realizing this was  several years ago
when I was at the PhotoHistory conference at Eastman House in
Rochester NY.  There was an exhibition of Magnum photographs -- all of
them of interest.  But the photos that were the most striking were the
early ones.  Technically, they couldn't hold a candle to the work of
the later Magnum photographers, but the earlier photographers had a
knack, not only for capturing the "decisive moment" but for
composition.  Although often technically deficient (blurry, grainy,
poorly exposed) they were knockouts.

Talent for image making is more important than the equipment used.
This isn't to say that there would be no difference in HCB's work if
he had more modern Leica lenses, or that Steiglitz's work wouldn't
benefit by the latest in large format cameras and lenses.  It simply
means that the best equipment won't make you a Steiglitz or a HCB.
This isn't my ego talking -- I don't consider myself to be much more
than a competent snapshot taker.

Mark

Replies: Reply from creativevisions at verizon.net (Michael J Herring) ([Leica] Re: Erwin's Latest)
Reply from scott at adrenaline.com (Scott McLoughlin) ([Leica] Re: Erwin's Latest)