Subject: [Leica] Erwin's Latest
From: bdcolen at comcast.net (B. D. Colen)
Date: Mon Jun 13 11:42:35 2005

Well I'm not as old as some on the list, but older than others, and I'd
suggest that some of this "quest" has had more to do with marketing
horseshit than with photography. Would I ultimately like every lens to be as
good as the Leica M 35 1.4 ASPH and 28 Summicron ASPH? Sure - but the fact
that they're not doesn't detract one bit from whatever value my images have,
as long as flare or distortion aren't impacting the image. I find that in
making the tradeoffs required to shoot digitally, I get more in going
digital, in using Photoshop, than I lose by not having the Leica glass. I
realize that many on the list will disagree with me; so be it.

A new colleague of mine , who has been a dedicated M shooter, just showed me
his first digital wedding shoot - shot with his new Canon D20. The results
were spectacular, and his conclusion was 'I've probably shot my last film
wedding.' Why? Because his results couldn't have been better had he shot
with his Ms, and the process would have been more difficult.