Subject: [Leica] Re: Lenses and grain
From: rpalmier at depaul.edu (Bob Palmieri)
Date: Sun Jun 12 21:09:31 2005

Feli wrote:

I bounce around between three 50's- a DR, pre-ASPH Lux and current Cron.

Now, call me crazy, but I swear that the grain is more pronounced with
the current Cron, than with the DR. I wonder if this is do to the
higher contrast fingerprint of the current Cron. Perhaps it is a micro
contrast issue? In that respect the DR is a lot more mellow than the
current Cron.

Anyone?

feli

Feli -

Y'know... I seem to get very pronounced grain with my spherical 50 'Lux:

http://gallery.leica-users.org/june_2005_postings/graincrop

Seriously, though, this is an example of something I do from time to
time with the 50 'Lux.  Erwin & the MTF Curves say that this thing is
really sharp in the center wide open, so I sometimes exploit this by
shooting the subject in the center and cropping to the field of a 200mm
lens or so.  High shutter speed (1/250 or better), wide open, Neopan or
Tri-X.  It's a look, all right.  It's kinda hard to get the grain
exactly right with my scanner, but you get the idea. For all I know,
there's probably a good plug-in or filter for me to use with the 20D
for this sort of effect, but I'm not sure...

Also, I do recall someone (perhaps the aforementioned Mr. Puts) putting
forward a case for different lenses affecting grain clumping
differently during image formation, but I don't remember quite where I
saw it...

Bob Palmieri