Subject: [Leica] Car Prices
From: rmcclure2 at woh.rr.com (Rob McClure)
Date: Sat Jun 4 20:00:47 2005

Frank,

I disagree with your comments about BMW automatics.  They are smooth,
quick shifting and give up only a few 1/10ths of a second in 0-60 and a
few MPG in economy.  They also have a very nice sport mode and
tap-shifting mechanism for manual selection.    In comparison, many
Merc automatics default to a second gear starting mode unless really
thrashed and have a notchy shift gate.  That said, I  do prefer manual
transmissions in general and find BMW's manuals to be the best shifting
of any car i've driven.  I agree with your comments about Mercedes
being ill suited for automatics due to the foot parking brake; an easy
enough fix if they decide to target the manual-shift buyer segment (and
challenge BMW as "the ultimate driving machine").

Regards,

Rob McClure
Upper Sandusky, OH

Current BMW: