Subject: [Leica] Car Prices
From: msmall at aya.yale.edu (Marc James Small)
Date: Fri Jun 3 18:03:36 2005

At 08:26 PM 6/3/05 -0400, Michael J Herring wrote:
>I don't see Mercedes-Benz adopting this practice. They are quite
>competitive
>with the Japanese luxury car manufacturers.

You have this absolutely backwards.  The Japanese luxury-car producers (if
anyone here has ever driven or rode in one of these excesses to good taste,
I suspect that we would all agree that these are only "luxury" cars by a
gross extention of the term, but that is is a discussion for a different
day) figure out the price point for Mercedes and then rig their own prices
a tad under that level.  Mercedes pricing drives the market, for reasons
which escape me:  who would pay that kind of money for an automatic
transmission car?  Automatic transmissions are for the sort of folks who
ought not to be granted driving licenses.

If Mercedes is seeking this market, I would suggest that they produce a
market-entry $9,999 vessel for my welfare-class clients, all of whom are
riding about in rusted-out '76 Continentals and who are anxious to upgrade
to a newer vehicle, the sole requirement being that they cannot stay off
drugs long enough to shift a gear.

I'll stick with my '84 Audi 4000S.  There is one problem with this car:
you have to THINK while you operate it.  That really is a problem with most
USian drivers.

Marc

msmall@aya.yale.edu
Cha robh b?s fir gun ghr?s fir!