Subject: [Leica] DMR vs. Canon 20D comparison shots
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant)
Date: Sat Jun 4 13:55:33 2005

JR Geoffrion offered:

>Thanks for the images! I have a few comments about the 20D vs.
> DMR comparison shots.

Although both were taken with the same lens, they were shot in aperture
priority mode and in Auto WB. According to the EXIF, the DMR exposed about 1
stop more light than the 20D. As a result, shadow, highlights, color, and
details will be very different.
In addition, make sure not to be fooled by the default ACR2 settings --
which are actually "automatic" rather than "default" -- if trying to process
the raw files. ACR2 analyzes the image information and tries to "correct"
many of the raw parameters to provide a [mathematically] "improved" image.
In this particular case, the ACR2 algorithm brightens the 20D image and
darkens the DMR image (while changing shadow/highlight details).

Certain conclusions can be drawn from the images with respect to the
different metering, sharpness, etc. However, other variables should also be
taken into account (processing parameters, anti-aliasing filter strength,
raw exposure correction, workflow, white balance, DR, noise, complete
system, real life workability, etc.).<<<<<<<<<<<<

HOLY MACKEREL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;-)  And the back isn't even out yet!:-(

Oh my gosh photography has gone all to hell in a hand basket when you get
into words you don't have a clue what they mean, let alone all this kind of
jargon and how to handle it or correct any of it! My gosh and the industry
has been selling the "simplicity of digital photography is the way to go!"
;-)  Yeah right! :-)

Certainly compared to the good old days of ..." shoot, develop film, dry,
make prints, smile or cry! I mean it was so beautifully simple.. Now you
have to be a major in digital science to be able to cope with it. :-( Or at
least kind of understand it. Maybe if yer lucky.

It's no wonder it hasn't improved the overall quality of photography
content. People are spending way to much time trying to figure out what the
heck all the words mean. Then by the time they do everything has changed
again and there isn't time for a re-shoot! :-) ;-)

Oh well I still have several hundred rolls of film kicking around here so I
suppose I can always return to the "dark-side of the darkroom", quiet music
and single malt scotch by the enlarger. ;-)

Jeeeesh digital, just when I thought I was beginning to feel good about it!
:-)
ted

Replies: Reply from images at InfoAve.Net (Tina Manley) ([Leica] DMR vs. Canon 20D comparison shots)