Subject: [LEICA] The Joys of an M
From: leowesson at charter.net (leo)
Date: Sat Jun 4 10:25:00 2005

Nathan,

I was in Seattle a couple of weeks ago and happened to walk into
Glazers Camera looking for used m lenses.  They just happened to have
gotten in a few days before that 4 RD1 bodies.  Hmmm...I shot for
awhile with one of them and then left my credit cards and m6 at the
counter and took a walk with it.  Then I downloaded the files at one
of the demo workstations and had a look.  My observations:  none of
the feared focus problems were evident.  Framing with a 28 was kind
of off, due it part I would guess, to my glasses.  I liked the dial
on the top that told me everything that I needed to know about how
the camera was set.
The files looked good.  Seemed kind of funny and almost unnatural to
have to cock the shutter on a digital.  The shutter sounds a bit
clunky as compared to the click of an m.  It did feel really good to
be using my m lenses on a digital body.  Much to my surprise, I
really liked the camera and went home with one.  I have been shooting
with it now for a few weeks and I still don't feel totally at ease
with it, but I am still liking it.  It does feel really good to be
able to use all of my glass now.  Folks comment on how expensive the
RD1 body is, buy my rational is that it costs about what a new M body
costs, and then throw in the money I wouldn't be loosing by selling
my m stuff...
I don't own a 20d so I can't comment on comparative file quality, but
as compared to a D70, the epson files look a lot better to me.  Maybe
it's the glass and not the file, but I prefer the Epson now over the
D70 (which is in the shop due to a 9 ft gravity attack).

Leo