Subject: [Leica] Rollei 35S
From: langeratcarleton at gmail.com (Mark Langer)
Date: Thu Jun 2 07:59:20 2005

On 6/2/05, Lawrence Zeitlin <lrzeitlin@aol.com> wrote:

Although I'm a big fan of many Japanese compact and subcompact
cameras, my recently acquired Rollei 35SE beats them all in the
optical department.  And the SE metering via LEDs visible in the
viewfinder is an easy adjustment for anyone used to shooting with a
M6.  And the Sonnar is just a knockout.  This is one of the perfect
basic cameras (if you want to go meterless, it is tough to beat the
Voigtlander Vito B, which has far better build quality than the
Rollei, but no meter.  Think of it as the poor man's M3).

The ergonomics and build quality of the Rollei don't meet Leica
standards -- film advance lever on the left, flash shoe on the bottom,
and the thin metal top plate is almost always dented on these
(although luckily, not on my example).  Still, I have to agree that
this is the best pocketable 35mm around.

Mark