Subject: [Leica] Piano Sonatas
From: msmall at aya.yale.edu (Marc James Small)
Date: Tue May 31 18:15:00 2005

At 12:01 PM 5/31/05 -0400, Peterson, Arthur G CIV SEA 02 wrote:

>It may be (I don't know) that "[19]55 is when stereo hit."  I do know EMI
was making some (but not all) of its recordings in stereo in 1955, and RCA
was doing so as early as 1954.  Nonetheless Glenn Gould's first several
recordings for Columbia Records, including the first of his two recordings
of Bach's "Goldberg Variations," were all monaural (others of his early
monaural recordings for Columbia Records included Bach's Concerto in d
minor and Beethoven's Piano Concerto No. 2, both with Bernstein, Mozart's
Piano Sonata No. 10, KV 330, and Haydn's Piano Sonata No. 49, all four of
which rank among his greatest---i.e., least disfigured by his various
eccentricities---performances, and Beethoven's Piano Sonatas Nos. 30, 31, &
32, Op. 109, 110, & 111).

Gads.

I detest piano sonatas, regardless of who wrote them or who performs them.
They are BORING, and the capital letters are intentional.  Even Mozart,
bless his soul, could not crank out one worthy of the listening.

msmall@aya.yale.edu
Cha robh b?s fir gun ghr?s fir!

NEW FAX NUMBER:  +540-343-8505

Replies: Reply from jls at runbox.com (Jeffery Smith) ([Leica] Piano Sonatas)