Subject: [Leica] Glenn Gould
From: arthur.peterson at navy.mil (Peterson, Arthur G CIV SEA 02)
Date: Tue May 31 09:01:43 2005

It may be (I don't know) that "[19]55 is when stereo hit."  I do know EMI
was making some (but not all) of its recordings in stereo in 1955, and RCA
was doing so as early as 1954.  Nonetheless Glenn Gould's first several
recordings for Columbia Records, including the first of his two recordings
of Bach's "Goldberg Variations," were all monaural (others of his early
monaural recordings for Columbia Records included Bach's Concerto in d minor
and Beethoven's Piano Concerto No. 2, both with Bernstein, Mozart's Piano
Sonata No. 10, KV 330, and Haydn's Piano Sonata No. 49, all four of which
rank among his greatest---i.e., least disfigured by his various
eccentricities---performances, and Beethoven's Piano Sonatas Nos. 30, 31, &
32, Op. 109, 110, & 111).

Art