Subject: [Leica] 35 f1.4 pre-ASPH
From: etruscello at yahoo.com (Tom Pastorello)
Date: Mon May 30 13:10:14 2005

Luis --
   My experience with the 35 f1.4 pre-ASPH is quite
different from yours.  It is better than the Summicron
at f2.0 -- f5.6 and as good at every other aperture.
The f1.4 stop can be used for soft effect superior to
(more beautiful than)the ASPH version with a softar
filter on the ASPH.  This leads me to believe that you
do have a bad sample, or that I have an exceptionally
good one.  My lens is the first Solms (titanium)
version and may have been tweaked to superior
performance by the German branch of Leica), but I do
think the Canadian issue is generally better than what
you describe.  Perhaps you do need a CLA.  This lens
is one with which I'd never part.
   I'm sorry to differ -- bit I must honestly share my
experience and testing.
   Tom