Subject: [Leica] Re: Chris on LUG Digest, Vol 29, Issue 2
From: etruscello at yahoo.com (Tom Pastorello)
Date: Sun Jan 2 08:54:48 2005

> Date: Sat, 1 Jan 2005 10:03:50 -0800
> From: Christopher Driggett <driggett@mac.com>
> Subject: [Leica] Intro
> To: Leica Users Group <lug@leica-users.org>
>
> Hello,
>       My name is Chris Driggett and I have been doing
> photography on a
> semi-pro basis ever since I purchased my first
> camera a Konica TC.  I
> just joined this group because my wife keeps
> complaining about me
> lugging the Nikon D2h and lenses around with us on
> vacation. We have
> now 3 small kids and it is getting to be a hassle. I
> was looking at
> getting a rangefinder system because that would be
> smaller and yet
> produce the same excllent results. I am looking to
> get a Leica M7
> camera but was wondering when Leica was going to
> produce a
> interchangeable lens digital rangefinder.  I have
> looked at the
> Panasonic DMC-L1, and the Leica digilux 2 cameras
> but the reviews have
> not been stellar. Anybody with experience with these
> that can shed some
> light? Also does anybody know when Leica will
> produce interchangeable
> lens rangefinder?  I do not like the digital point
> and shoots currently
> because  I prefer setting the exposure controls via
> good old fashioned
> dials.
>
> Thanks,
> Chris

   Chris -- I've had the same trying experiences
lugging around the Nikon D1 with lenses like the 17-35
f2.8 on international trips.  Two solutions other than
an RD-1 or Digilux have worked for me.
   I sold the D1 for a D100 and tried bringing only
three small lenses:  20mm f2.8, 35mm 2.0 and 85mm
f1.8.  With an effective range from 30mm to 127mm that
has worked fine.  It's a smallish package, those
primes are brilliantly sharp, the 35 f2.0 is good in
low light at ISO 400 and has beautiful bokeh. If you
need a wider lens than 30mm, try the Nikkor 10.5mm
f2.8 Fisheye DX. It is tiny and it'll give you 16mm
rectilinear images on a D camera after processing with
Nikon's Capture software.
   Another solution that has worked for me has been to
bring an M6 with tiny Leica lenses.  I use the prints
I get back from film processing as "proofs."  I scan
the negatives and treat the consequent files as I
would D100 files -- except that the results are
generally superior in overall image quality.  When I
have a lot of film, I use a quick method to scan the
negatives.  I convert my darkroom enlarger into a copy
stand and macro copy the Leica negatives at 1:1 with
the Nikon D100 (set to tungsten light) and Nikkor 60mm
f2.8 Macro lens.  The orange mask can be compensated
for by means of dichroic filtration on the inverted
enlarger head.  Photoshop will invert the negative
image for you with one click.  If you don't have an
enlarger, you can use any light box and use Photoshop
to both invert the negative and correct for the orange
negative cast.
   If you try the latter method, you can pick up some
good buys with old Leica M models and pre-ASPH lenses.
 You don't need ASPH lenses because Photoshop will
make the pre-ASPH lenses as sharp as the ASPH's and,
as a great bonus, the pre-ASPH lenses will give you
far better bokeh than the ASPH's.
   Happy New Year,   Tom