Subject: [Leica] Re: PAW MAY 29 2005
From: bdcolen at comcast.net (B. D. Colen)
Date: Mon May 30 10:42:58 2005

LOL! Perfect! Or white socks. Although - I am, for the third time, reading a
book titled "Once Upon A Distance War," about the handful of correspondents
who covered Vietnam from 1961 to 1963, and whose work was usually right, and
usually ignored. Terrific read. Anyway - one of them was Malcolm Browne, a
chemist turned reporter, then of the AP, and eventually a distinguished
science writer for the NYTimes...(Browne shared the 1964 Pulitzer for
foreign reporting, and would probably have won the photo Pulitzer for spot
new for his Petri (?) shot of the first of the monk self-immolations had it
not been for the Kennedy Assassination the same year)...ANYWAY....Browne
apparently always wore red socks. He had come upon them in a PX in Korea,
and had purchased the entire supply. And every day thereafter, whether
wearing fatigues, a business suit, or even a tux, he wore those same red
socks! :-)