Subject: [Leica] Leica's demise
From: lrzeitlin at aol.com (Lawrence Zeitlin)
Date: Tue May 24 13:33:34 2005

<<Ten years down the line, it will come full circle. People will be
so choked with digital photography that they won?t be able to take it
anymore. They will turn to film again.>>

======

That's what they said about tintypes too. No doubt film will always
exist as a retro art form. We still use oil emulsion paints spread on
canvas by the hairs of some unfortunate animal. But in ten years graphic
arts will have so wholly embraced digital techniques that film will be
regarded much as we regard wet collodin today.

As far as Leica's demise, it can exist as a boutique camera maker
supplying the collector's market. Prices will skyrocket from their
current elevation into the stratosphere. But there will be a market.
Ferrari and Maserati still sell cars to well heeled death defiers. More
likely, if the company fails to raise needed capital, the name will be
sold to an Asian camera conglomerate. Think Contax, Voightlander,
Exacta, etc. Perhaps then we will have 21st century Leicas.

Larry Z

Replies: Reply from mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner) ([Leica] Leica's demise NOT)
Reply from pdzwig at summaventures.com (Peter Dzwig) ([Leica] WAS Leica's demise, NOW Digital's demise??)