Subject: [Leica] Now RAW vs. JPEG
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Tue May 24 03:18:20 2005

> The rest of the time, I shoot RAW.  I think of RAW the way my dentist
> thinks of flossing.  He says you should only floss the teeth you want to
> keep.  I think you can dispense with RAW only for those pictures that you
> know will be perfectly exposed and white balanced, and have a dynamic range
> that won't blow your sensor's limits.

Gee Peter!
So I'm walking down the street and I have my camera as I almost always do
and a see a nice picture of two chairs in the shade.

But I think "I know will be perfectly exposed and white balanced, and have a
dynamic range that won't blow my sensor's limits!"
So I go into my menus and reset the thing off of raw and onto jpeg. (three
minutes tops!)
Then I take the picture.
Then I go back into my menus and reset the thing off of jpeg and onto raw.
And continue walking down the sidewalk.

Or it think "maybe the next one will be perfectly exposed and white
balanced, and have a dynamic range that won't blow my sensor's limits!"
And I just leave it on jpeg.

No I don't.
I just leave it on Raw.
And I think most others would too.
Compact flash cards get cheaper logarithmically per day.
And a "million dollar sleeper shot" tends to come when I least expect it.

Mark Rabiner
Photography
Portland Oregon
http://rabinergroup.com/