Subject: [Leica] For the love of LEICA
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Mon May 23 19:33:22 2005

Hot of the press today from India, Lucknow:
For the love of LEICA
By my favorite columnist: Debanjana Chaudhuri
http://cities.expressindia.com/fullstory.php?newsid=130621\\

" A ?10.7 MILLION LOSS MIGHT FORCE LEICA TO SHUT SHOP. PHOTOGRAPHER COLSTON
JULIAN ROOTS FOR HIS BABY"

" When shooting with a Leica the tonality that?s produced is unique. It?s
such an intimate relation between the photographer and his Leica. It helps
you tell the entire story. It?s beautiful to shoot people with it. Or for
news. Once you?ve experienced that relationship, you can?t be bothered about
mega pixels."

" Today, I have people pointing fingers at me about still using film. But
only last week, an agency from Bangalore called me to shoot a campaign with
my Leica. Ten years down the line, it will come full circle. People will be
so choked with digital photography that they won?t be able to take it
anymore. They will turn to film again."

" have a gut feeling that Leica won?t go under. There still exist staunch
loyalists who will bail Leica out of its financial doldrums. And the legend
will live.

SHOOT OUT Next week Leica?s manufacturer is holding a meeting following a
?10.7 million loss Leica will ask its shareholders to approve a plan to turn
around its fortunes If the plan fails the company is likely to go under
Analysts say the prime reason for Leica running into financial trouble is
because they didn?t go digital"

Mark Rabiner
Photography
Portland Oregon