Subject: [Leica] Point Reyes Seashore: flora, fauna and vistas
From: msmall at infionline.net (Marc James Small)
Date: Sat May 21 21:01:30 2005

At 01:54 PM 5/21/05 -0700, Dennis Painter wrote:
>Sneaker wave is a LARGE and unexpected wave.  It can happen as waves can
>reinforce until there is one large sucker coming in. Beaches with a lack of
>driftwood where you would expect driftwood are often that way because of
>sneakers.

Point Reyes was most attractive to me in the winter months, but I also went
there in the summer.  In June, 1968, I was damned near killed by one of
these "sneaker" waves with an incredible undertow.  I have never had to
swim so hard to reach the surface as I did then:  I followed that old Red
Cross advice and let it carry me out a ways until it weakened, and then
angled to the surface, but it was one hell of a haul and one I certainly
could not repeat today.

Marc

msmall@aya.yale.edu
Cha robh b?s fir gun ghr?s fir!