Subject: [Leica] I have returned finally... an older dude.
From: prince_alfie at yahoo.com (Albert Wang)
Date: Fri May 6 07:17:10 2005

Hi Leica-folks,

Perhaps you may not have remembered me but it's Alfie
Wang again. After taking a rather long break from
photography for about 1 year (mostly due to Sal
diMarco's passing away and losing a mentor), I have
managed to return here. (Although I'm still rather
single, that hasn't changed). And well I have managed
to keep only my Leica M6 and R8 in my outfit and begin
shooting again.

However, this time I don't live in Philly (or the East
Coast). I live in Salt Lake City and well it's lonely
out there. I don't see a single Leica M shooter and I
guess that I am the only one around here shooting with
the red dot.

Since last time I was here, I didn't have much of a
workflow studio. Now I have a Powerbook G4, 2 iBooks,
and a Powermac G3, all of which I plan to use for
photo and video editing (and I just learned a little
about Final Cut Pro). I hope to get some new Mac photo
editing program and most likely will stick to PE3.0.

Yep, things have changed. But some things never do. At
least, I feel like a more mature photographer and
willing to explore new ideas which is a good thing.
And not too idealistic either.

Well, since I have been out of the loop for some time,
I caught on the Leica spiel by going to
www.nemeng.com.

Apparently it seems like digital has started to take
over the Leica world. I read Erwin Puts' article about
the Epson RD1 digital M-body and was surprisingly
disappointed at the resolution. For cropping,
apparently the softness of the image was what startled
me compared to film. I am saddened that the expensive
body seems to be more for convenience rather than
being of much practical or professional use. Too bad.

However, the most exciting development is the new
Zeiss Ikon M series! I thought woohoo. I don't have
anything against the Voigtlander stuff but certainly
the fact that Zeiss is abandoning the Contax G (not
even digital yet) system and focusing on creating
M-compatible lenses and bodies is an awesome thing.
The Zeiss Ikon M looks like a cool beans sort of thing
since it's a much cheaper version of the overpriced
M7. It's great that Cosina is improving a lot and the
lenses look sweet even the 50 Planar.

I was just wondering, how similar are the Contax G
lenses and the Zeiss M lenses?

Just wanted to drop by and say hi to all my old
buddies here.

thanx, Alfie Wang