Subject: [Leica] Lord of the Rings
From: rdcb37 at dodo.com.au (Rick Dykstra)
Date: Mon May 2 19:40:51 2005

Hi Marc,

now your talking!

I enjoy the movies (extended DVDs are the only ones to get) as there is
a reasonable correlation with the books.

My biggest beef is the downplaying of Aragorn's inherent majesty and
leadership, surely one of the key themes of the books. They way that he
grows to fullfil his potential in the books is thrilling.  Some of the
best passages from the books are when Aragorn allows his heritage and
kingliness to shine through - canoeing through the Argonath; meeting
Eomer and his Eored on the fields of Rohan, handing over Anduril to
Hama at Meduseld, looking out for the dawn at Helm's Deep, summoning
the dead to the stone of Erech (not begging like in the movie!).

At least the movie gets it right in the end with his speech to the
troops outside the Black Gate.

Great story.  Great movies.  Absolutely excellent casting - though the
directing and editing left a lot to be desired IMHO.

Rick.