Subject: [Leica] Digital/film debate
From: scott at adrenaline.com (Scott McLoughlin)
Date: Sat Apr 30 14:39:18 2005

Doug,

To each his own. Really!  For amateurs and artists, at least, I don't fully
understand the nature of the "debate" excepting personal finances.

I keep being reminded of the tube vs. solid state amplification debate
in the guitar world.  Classic tone and "feel" (and cost!) vs. controlled
feedback, lower weight, economy, etc.  With digital modelling of classic
tones, solid state keeps getting better and better, but many folks keep
using
tube amps even with steeply rising costs.  Of course, jazzer's with
great tone have used classic Polytone solid state amps for decades
(including me), while many rockers look for the classic Mesa Boogie
tones of Santana, Scofield and even early Metallic (including me, again)
:-)
You have to dial it in for yourself.

Ultimately, the only person who should care is the individual artist
(small "a").   Sure maybe itinerant studio musicians need versatility, or
low weight or whatever, and a versatile instrument or two, but that
doesn't mean they might not well prefer the feel and "results" of an
old small Gibson class A amp and even older Epiphone acoustic
archtop at home. Point being, when it's your own thing, it's whatever
suits your fancy.

As for the aesthetics, there's an old adage in guitardom, when a newbie
asks how Wes Montgomery gets his tone:  "The tones in his fingers." With
photography, my own belief is that light, composition (or "vision"),
exposure
and processing (with B&W), strongly dominate the quality of whatever optics
are used.  Yes, there are exceptions for certain types of compositions. And
there are format/media exceptions with enlargements, depending on what one
is trying to achieve there.  But in both of these cases, I still don't
see much
room for a "debate" of much interest.  If you need a 4x5 and movements, or
a wide lens with little barrel distortion - well, then that is what you
need.
If you "see" Tri-X in rodinal or an 8x10 platinum contact print, great. But
of course, a great photograph can be taken with a digicam, or "made" with
some Photoshop artistry too.

Commercial support is an ongoing issue, including the availability of camera
equipment and film, and so too is personal finances.  Hand carved
archtop guitars and classic amp costs (and repair costs!) go up and up. So
too probably with classic fine cameras and film and chemistry in the
future. Many fine guitar shops folded or were consolidated, often their
brands applied to inexpensively made instruments hanging on the wall
at guitar center.  To take their place, many independent shops and
craftsmen
make classic instruments worth a kings ransom.

For Leica and its kind, time will tell.  I hope for the best for the
company,
and I guess for Zeiss and CV and any other "successors" who continue to
serve folks who want to shoot with small format RF film cameras, or who
just happen to "see" what a DR Summicron puts on film, or whatever.

Personally, in addition to my Leica kit, have a D70 kit I use for certain
things, and when funds allow, I'd love to put together a small MF kit
as well as a wet darkroom.  I saw Sally Mann's "What Remains" exhibit,
and photographs from glass plates even look intriguing. We'll see.

Sorry for the long analogy :-)

Scott