Subject: [Leica] Printer experiences of the LUG
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Fri Apr 29 15:44:14 2005

On 4/29/05 9:41 AM, "F?lix L?pez de Maturana" <fmaturana@euskalnet.net>
typed:

>> I'm going to replace it with an Epson 4000 with large
>> ink cartridges and the ability to have all 3 blacks loaded at once.  I
> love
>> my Epsons!
>>
>> Tina
>

> Tina
>
> I've just tried a Epson 4000 some weeks ago in a Photographic fair in
> Madrid and his output is stunning in A2 format even with files not so
> big. My only concern is the size of the beast for home equipment. BTW,
> congratulations for the 1DMkII, a very good camera.
>
> Regards
>
> Felix

I've gotten used to looking at the 4000's at the digital corner of the Pro
Photo camera store down the street so that when I see a 2200 I think it's a
puny letter sized printer. The 4000's not look "normal" and not too big. Of
course that's a much bigger room, that store, than my office.
I've done, on my computer, an extensive redoing of my whole office layout to
accommodate a 4000 in here. Now do I hit option print and it takes place
with laser beams?
They've got that for machine making why don't they have it for interior
decorating!?

But I just might land another 2200 instead and put quadtones in it.
And forgo 17x22's. Or 17x anything for that matter..

13x19 is staring to feel like a size which may just do it for me. I think
this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship.

Lets face it it's a 16x20 with a small recessive 11x14 gene in there
somewhere.
Prints from 35mm formats or rectangles close to it are about the same in
size or the same. I make my borders smaller with digital than with darkroom
this feels obvious to me.

But prints from square format which I do a lot of are not 14x14's but
11x11's. Which is a cut which is hard to take.
The thing to do is to just make them "borderless" which I've got quite have
made gotten going on my 2200.

Minor White in that yellow book would say that the atmosphere would eat into
your print from the edges in so you need at least an inch of leeway.
And not to cut your pints after processing as that would eat away that
natural seal. Of course he was in tune with the mushroom Gods in the dessert
when he realized these things.

To me paper which had not been thought a wet process would not have these
"eating in from the edges" issues.

But who knows?! I'm still waiting for the add-on to convert my microwave to
a time machine so I can test my theories out.
But I don't think it will arrive at all are doorsteps to the year 2525.
And but that time it will be too little too late.
And in the wrong time zone.

Mark Rabiner
Photography
Portland Oregon