Subject: [Leica] digital transformation
From: bdcolen at earthlink.net (B. D. Colen)
Date: Fri Apr 29 07:49:27 2005

And I "concede," Bob, that I like the look of good fiber prints.
What I admit I don't get about the exchanges here - present company very
much excepted - is that people seem to feel that accepting the present
reality means rejecting the value of the past, and that is not the case.
Yes, I've been an advocate for quadtone digital printing, and now for
the one type of printer - that I've seen - that can produce prints equal
to those produced the "old fashioned way." That's not saying that wet
prints produced by a master printer aren't gorgeous - only that it's now
possible to produce equally gorgeous prints without having, or spending
time in a darkroom.

There is, by the way, one undeniable advantage to digital printing -
whether the dry or wet (light jet) variety, and that is the fact that
once you've got the image to print the way you want it, you can reprint
it any time with the push of a button. Call that automation, call it
anything you like, but I call it a gift from the gods of progress. :-)