Subject: [Leica] digital transformation
From: robertmeier at usjet.net (Robert Meier)
Date: Wed Apr 27 21:39:00 2005

John,

I think you have identified exactly what is most important.   I have just
been going through a stack of B&W 8x10's of mine from the last three years,
or so.   These are just first prints, or file or work prints, but their
quality is just overwhelming -- the detail and the tonal range are
outstanding, and I've never gotten a B&W digital print that is anywhere near
as good.   Not from my D70 or from a scanned Leica negative, not even on my
Epson C86 printer with the MIS carbon black and gray inks.   The quality of
output of film cameras is just in another orbit from digital.   Your second
criterion is even more tilted in favor of film, if that is possible.   No
digital camera has the qualities in the hand and up to the eye that a Leica
has, or even a Hexar RF, or a Nikon FM2.   This is very, very important for
getting a good picture in the first place.   So the two things go hand in
hand and the result is, IMHO, much better pictures.

Bob