Subject: [Leica] Some new Leica photos ...
From: scott at adrenaline.com (Scott McLoughlin)
Date: Wed Apr 27 05:08:38 2005

I have the same problem with tiff files of large hi res scans. A 4000
DPI scan
saved as a 14 bit (Nikon V) Grayscale TIFF is something like 41MB per frame.
A roll of film is over 1GB and won't even archive to a CD, perhaps a more
serious issue for me than HD space (although, that too quickly becomes an
issue).

Different applications have different problems with TIFF lossless
compression
schemes (zip, lzw), so that doesn't present itself as a viable option.

What's worse, though, is that JPEG is 8 bit, so I loose alot of information
before even JPEG compression kicks in.

The whole thing is odd to me, I recall the days of PCX, and we've come a
long
way since then. But why isnt' there a universally supported lossless
compressed
format that supports 16 bit gs and 48 bit color?  Really wierd to me.

What do other folks do to archive hi rez scans of rolls of film?

Scott