Subject: [Leica] (was Coenen) now: buying Leica new vs. used
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Mon Apr 25 13:58:25 2005

On 4/25/05 11:26 AM, "Craig Zeni" <sdp35@cwazy.co.uk> typed:

> On Apr 25, 2005, at 2:09 AM, Mark Rabiner wrote:
>
>> On 4/24/05 9:58 PM, "brad daly" <brad@bradbrad.com> typed:
>>
>>> according to a profile in last week's _new yorker_, salgado now uses
>>> pentax 67s, not leicas.  HMMV.
>>>
>>> --brad
>>>
>> Yes Pentax 67s on a tripod and a cable release shooting Antarctic
>> landscapes. A break from his usual work to put it mildly.
>
> Great camera, but 'quiet' and 'subtle' it isn't...a shutter the size of
> a credit card and an even larger mirror.

But if you get one with a mirror lock up its pretty usable.
Although Luminous Landscape head honcho and Leica nut Michael Reichmann says
the SHUTTER itself is a big problem.
Mirror aside. Or locked up.
http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/cameras/pentax67ii.shtml

But with no mirror lock up it's a paper weight landscape wise

And the most bang for the buck of any optics system ever.
Just about any lens cost a couple hundred bucks.

Still if you put two 24x30 inch prints side by side one with the Pentax 6x7
and cheap but "sharp" monster Takumar and one with a Hasselblad square
format Zeiss optics..
And cropped the same so they look the same
That means the Hassy shot is cropped so it might just as well have been 645.
And you'd shot slow film. Or medium speed.

I bet the Hassy shot would look better. Even at its slightly higher
magnification.

Lets see. With the 6x7 a 24x30 would be a 10.5 magnification.
With the Hasselblad it would be about a 13.5 magnification.
Not much of a difference mag. wise.
I say the Hassy would win.
And sure does on a lot of other accounts, design wise unless you're hand
holding and wed to the 35mm configuration.

Any way they are giving away Hassy glass free, one lens per customer at any
camera store with any purchase over 25 dollars.
The prices are getting competitive with the Pentax. When priced new at
least.

Mark Rabiner
Photography
Portland Oregon