Subject: [Leica] Let's Just Say That Leica Survives and....
From: douglas.sharp at gmx.de (Douglas Sharp)
Date: Thu Apr 21 01:22:05 2005

Why "should" a digital M be so expensive?
The expensive bits of the conventional M are all to do with precision
engineering, a lot of which is just not needed in a digital M.
Leica already said, at Photokina last year, that the dimensions, looks and
handling would remain the same, but, under no circumstances, could the
present
shutter assembly be used.
I think just about any kind of shutter would be cheaper than the present
Leica
construction and possibly just as accurate.
The RF is of course a different matter and would very probably be the most
expensive part of the whole thing.
There would however be fewer and simpler body components, fewer machined
control
elements ( more electronic switches and dials). I can easily imagine that
the
number of single components could be reduced by at least 60%.
Fact is, a digital M would be stuffed with a load of, comparitively, cheaper
electronics instead of "Feinmechanik".

The obsolescence factor of digital innards should preclude a monstrous price
anyway, unless of course everything would be "update-able", pay (a lot!)
once
and have an annual update (included in the basic price) would be the way to
go.

What a dream - plug-in a la carte sensors, from, say, 6 to 16 mp , a choice
of
software on plug-in modules too.
cheers
Douglas