Subject: [Leica] Re: Let's Just Say That Leica Survives and....
From: scott at adrenaline.com (Scott McLoughlin)
Date: Wed Apr 20 23:16:02 2005

Yes, Leica must produce a digital camera that sells. Film shooters
will still be around, especially the B&W film crowd (that's me) and
the chrome fanatics. Some folks, like my fine art shooter buddy,
have serious enlargement quality issues and shoot very carefully with
carefully chosen films on MF and LF film gear. (This guy tests and
tests and belly aches over film selection and enlargement quality
constantly. Whew!)

But Leica needs the doctor/dentist/lawyer market who desire
and pay for "the best" small format gear to shoot pics of their kids
and gardens and what not. My neurologist is into orchid growing
and takes lots of flower pics. He went all digital recently, and his
office is now proudly adorned with orchid snaps he took on his
Canon DSLR and printed himself on his Epson 2200. (Nice pics
buy the way).

So Leica has to get a digital system out the door. It has to be good
and it has to be priced to sell (to their traditional buyers). They just
have
to - or alternatively, become a very different (smaller) company than
they are today.