Subject: [Leica] Photojournalists and permission
From: bdcolen at earthlink.net (B. D. Colen)
Date: Wed Apr 20 15:20:20 2005

More power to you, Bob - You say you'd rather not get the photo than
offend some one. But for photo journalists who want to eat, that's
unfortunately not an option. And when you say that very high ethical
standards should prevail, the question is whose standards?

I agree with you entirely that paparazzi are utterly repulsive, but in
the vast majority of cases, those who die by the paparazzi live by the
paparazzi. I find it fascinating that there is always a handful of
Hollywood celebrities whose photos don't constantly turn up in the
Globe, the Star, and in People - because they live quite, private lives
and don't seek publicity. Yes, Jackie Kennedy was hounded by the media,
particular by Ron Galala (sp?), and she tried very hard to live a
private life. But Jen and Brad and the like? Give me a break.

If one is just taking happy snaps for one's own pleasure, then, yes,
what HCB or Eugene Smith did is utterly irrelevant, and it's utterly
irrelevant whether photos are posed or not. But if one is attempting in
a serious - professional or non-professional - way to document aspects
of the world around us, then what they did is very important, and, yes,
occasionally one is going to get photos of people with their fingers up
their noses. The solution to that one, of course, is to keep your finger
out of your nose, and off your crotch, when you're in a public place -
and I would think that there are probably Golden Rules governing that
kind of crude behavior, aren't there? :-)