Subject: [Leica] Photojournalists and permission
From: bdcolen at earthlink.net (B. D. Colen)
Date: Wed Apr 20 07:27:55 2005

Why do you find it necessary to be so hostile to Steve, one of the most
polite people on the list, Karen?

But that aside, asking permission to do a project, and being in a place
long enough so that ones subject start ignoring you and go about their
business in a normal manner is a far cry from walking up to someone on
the street and asking permission to photograph them.

As to the behavior of Smith - who hasn't worked at all since his death
about 30 years ago, as far as I know ;-) - and Nachtwey. Yes, some of
Smith's work was done with permission, some was not; I know that you're
not suggesting that he had either permission or releases from every
person he shot in his Pittsburgh project. And we both know full well
that sometimes Nachtwey works in situations where he asks his subjects
permission to photograph them, and some where he doesn't. But again,
Nachtwey is hardly doing 'street photography.'