Subject: [Leica] Photojournalists and permission
From: mail at gpsy.com (Karen Nakamura)
Date: Tue Apr 19 00:05:37 2005

I should add that even photojournalists these days are asking the
permission of subjects in human interest stories.  Very rarely will
you see a grab shot taken without permission and without the
name/address of the subject so that the editor can later follow-up to
make sure that express permission was given to take the photograph
and permission was given to use the photograph in the newspaper.

Breaking news photographs are one thing, but "regular people in the
street" photographs  almost always are cleared beforehand. It's very
easy to get your pants sued off otherwise.

Let's not kid ourselves into believe we're the next Jacob Riis. Even
his work was full of ethical issues.

Again, this is my own ethics speaking. You can decide for yourself.

Karen Nakamura
http://www.photoethnography.com/blog/

--

Replies: Reply from lmc at interlink.es (Luis Miguel Castañeda) ([Leica] Photojournalists and permission)