Subject: [Leica] Re: B.D. PAWS
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Mon Apr 18 22:53:26 2005

On 4/18/05 9:20 PM, "Karen Nakamura" <mail@gpsy.com> typed:

>> Not by taking advantage of these people, rather by using our
>> compassion, our utmost sensitivity,  and our lens to be their
>> lobbyist....
>
> Taking their photo without their permission is, by definition, I
> think taking advantage of the homeless. If you really feel like being
> a compassionate photographer, ask for their permission first.
> Otherwise, you're just feeding off of them.
>
> Karen

Except you ask their permission first you'd not doing anything resembling
photojournalism you are doing portraiture.
A lesser form in some peoples eyes.
Not mine really.
I have no great reverence for photojournalism. And no great desire to get
into peoples faces asked or not asked. Sometimes I'm glad others are doing
it though. I'd not want them to ask.

Portraiture to me reveals plenty of the human condition in my work.
>From the outside in. Surface. On a one to one basis.

I think Kyle is referring to a thing which I agree with.
Which is that photos of homeless people is the most tired of clich?s.
The only thing worse is a guy with muscles and his shirt off holding a naked
baby.
Rich or poor.
Asked or not asked.
:)