Subject: [Leica] older Metz shoe flash info?
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Sun Apr 17 14:54:01 2005

On 4/17/05 9:51 AM, "A. Lal" <alal@duke.poly.edu> typed:

> There were  several models in the Metz 32 family; some with one, others
> with
> two flash tubes. TTBOMK, they were all SCA compatible, but there may well
> have been non-SCA versions too.
>
> The standard foot on the SCA versions was a hot shoe. You can exchange the
> shoe for a dedicated 300 series SCA adapter to fit your camera's TTL flash
> system. Note that the Leica R8/9 & M7 need the  SCA 3000 system, as do many
> of the more modern AF cameras from other manufacturers, and are not
> compatible with these older flashes.

I have both a Nikon (non i-ttil) and Leica shoes for my Metz 32 Z 2.
I'd guess unfortunately the technology will not be there to get it to work
with the new digital cameras. No new shoe will fit the bill.
The ones they have full page ads for now talk about downloadable software
for future changes.
But they are all the ubiquitous "cobra head" design units.
The same shape as most units and the ones made by Nikon which are really
pretty good.

I love the what I call "war of the worlds" low slung design of the 32 series
and I forgot the numbers of two other of the Metz series of this design.

They seem to not have sold well enough and have all been discontinued in
lieu of the ubiquitous and less then elegant cobra.

Which Mick Jagger will gleefully break off for you if you let him get near
it.

The low slung design looks practically more appropriate and balances better
on a Leica M. The taller cobra design makes it ungainly even with the older
monster winder. I know, I've tried it.
And this red eye thing justifying that design I believe is blown way out of
proportion. Red eye can be dealt with in any number of other ways... Other
than making your flash like the Eiffel Tower.

I hope some other flash company, Sunpack, Sigma, has the imagination to come
out with a compact low slung War of the Worlds non cobra design for people
who want to keep a lower profile while having flash capability.
The Olympus flashes were like that once. But you need an Olympus camera to
work with it.
No you don't.

Mark Rabiner
Photography