Subject: [Leica] Epson R-D1 Luminous Landscape
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Sat Apr 16 00:04:39 2005

On 4/15/05 10:26 PM, "Nathan Wajsman" <nathan.wajsman@planet.nl> typed:

> This review corresponds very well to my impression when I had a chance
> to play with Tom's R-D1 at last fall's Photokina. I also found the need
> to cock the shutter by hand a useless anachronism; in a Leica M it is a
> different story, but on a digital camera it is hard to accept.

You wonder if they took the camera for one single trial run before they
released it.
The IDEA of a thumb thing which has a verisimilitude to shooting film for
the shooter kind of sounds good if you were at the meeting when it was
brought it.
But you'd find out later when you went out with the first prototype for a
spin around the block how bad that bright idea feels.
Spells accelerated R&D to me.

The thumb lever is the biggest reason I'm not getting the camera.
It's just an insult to the useres intelligence.

The R2D2 will have a silent micromoter like the majority of cameras being
used today. And plenty of cameras where you grab the shutter speed dial and
f stops on the lens.
I sure hope there is an R2D2.
I'm sure they'd get it right the second time.
This first camera with all it's flaws has gotten a tremendous reception and
has attracted huge attention. Although the shocking number "3000" came up
last week as the total amount sold.
If that's close to being true it makes the whole thing a public relations
labor of love certainly not a money making business venture.
Which lots of niche market stuff is anyway.

Epson should have a thing where you connect a wire from your Epson printer
to your Epson camera and it just prints all the pictures like is being done
today all over the place. Tweak them on a little screen maybe. I'd love
that. Photoshop less images. What an idea!
Raw in the opposite sense.
But have a big crank on the side to emulate a mimeograph machine!

I guess I'ts an enlarger you want to emulate though.
Or a line of trays.

Mark Rabiner
Photography
Portland Oregon