Subject: [Leica] OT-Zeiss Lenses Now Listed at B&H
From: red735i at earthlink.net (Frank Filippone)
Date: Wed Apr 6 00:23:17 2005

In this case, a plastic mold must be made for a plastic hood.  It costs many
dollars.  When divided by the number of hoods made, the mold cost is likely
to be the dominant cost driver.  Thus, a high price.  Canon makes a
bazillion of one size of hood, so the cost of the mold is insignificant by
comparison..   plastic becomees the cost driver, thus a low cost.

Frank Filippone
red735i@earthlink.net

Agree. Leica does not supply the hood for "free" anyway - i'm sure the
cost is already included. And they are expensive! I just ordered a
separate hood for my M 28 f2 asph (got it used with box but no hood) -
the cost is astronomical to me, for what seems to be just a piece of
plastic. More than twice the price for a much bigger piece of plastic
that Canon demands for their lens hood to fit much bigger 77mm diameter
lenses :)

Replies: Reply from feli2 at earthlink.net (Feli) ([Leica] OT-Zeiss Lenses Now Listed at B&H)