Subject: [Leica] Scanning my nature photos - Nikon or Minolta?
From: nathan.wajsman at planet.nl (Nathan Wajsman)
Date: Tue Apr 5 21:01:59 2005

Rick,

Now is a great time to buy a film scanner. I have a Nikon LS-2000 which
I bought in 1998 or 99 and it has served me very well since then. It is
solidly built and the only service it has needed was a cleaning by Nikon
3-4 years ago, which was easy for me since the Nikon facility was just a
few miles down the road from where I lived.

The Nikon 5000 is just as well built as my 2000 but obviously has the
additional resolution and probably other useful features. And you will
likely pay much less for it than what I paid for my scanner 6-7 years
ago. Film scanner prices have dropped dramatically in the last couple of
years not because there are a lot a new models (there aren't) but
because of the shift to digital capture.

In short--buy the Nikon 5000, go to www.hamrick.com and download the
Vuescan software, and you will be all set for the next several years.

Nathan