Subject: [Leica] Nathan!!- pricing sale of photograph
From: philippe.orlent at pandora.be (Philippe Orlent)
Date: Sun Apr 3 05:01:57 2005

Douglas, Nathan , Steve,

Right, since this is part of what I do, I'll try to explain what the
advertising world finds reasonable (this is for non stock, and in Belgium.
Ex Belgium add to 100% on total for UK and France, 50% for Holland, since
larger markets).

Although an image, as almost all other things in life, is worth as much as
the buyer is willing to pay for it, there are some rules of thumb. Except
for a few photographers in the world, who can ask about anything they want.

Prices consist of:
---
The shooting itself (consisting of photographer's dayrate x number of days
of shooting (degressive)
+ technical costs (camera rental, lighting rental, studio rental,
development, printing and such)
+ location hunting
+ location renting
+ set dressing (decor, props, mock-ups, ...)
+ stylism (clothing, ...)
+ maquillage (hair included) or food stylism
+ catering
+ assistant(s)
+ ...

Included in the above are national media rights for print media only (NO
outdoor media and others) for one year.
---
+models (their dayrate x number of days of work, sometimes degressive)

Included in the above are model release rights for 1 year national usage,
only in print (NO outdoor media and others)
---
+ travel expenses (per km, airline tickets, hotels, ...)
+ postproduction (scanning, editing, proofing, ...)
+ courriers, postprod catering, ...
---
Postprod takes no rights
---
+ agent's fee on above total (10 to 15%, depending)
---
Then the rights part:
This is really about what the photographer wants for it, but usually it is
counted in a multiple of the dayrate. The bigger the media coverage, the
higher the multiple.
---
Models rights is pretty straightforward: any models office is counting about
the same rights in function of media coverage.
---
Total buy-out for photographer and models is minimum 5 dayrates national and
10 dayrates international.
---
Photographer's dayrate (depending of his qualities and how much he's asked):
between 750 EUR to 6250 EUR (except for the top of tops)
---
Models dayrates (depending of category): 325 EUR to 3000 EUR (except for the
top of tops)
---
Technical costs: most of the time fixed fee of about 500 EUR
Location hunting: 500 EUR per day
Location renting: between 500 EUR and 1000 EUR per day
Set dresser: 500 EUR per day, renting or buying of props not included
Stylist: idem
Maquillage: idem
Catering: 75 EUR per person
Assistant(s): 185 EUR to 375 EUR per assistant
---
Travel expenses: add 10% to real prices
Postprod: about 1000 EUR per day
Courriers, postprod catering, ...: add 10% to real prices
---
Payment 50% in front, 50% max 90 days at end of month.
---
As a simple example:
1 day of shooting medium category photographer, 1 assistant, studio, no
props, 1 model peoples category, model travel costs 1/2 day of postprod, no
catering, no agent, rights 1 year national print:

photographer 1500 EUR + assistant 185 EUR + technical costs 500 EUR + studio
1/2 day 250 EUR + model 1/2 day 180 EUR + model travel costs 50 EUR + 500
EUR postprod + 75 EUR courrier=

3240 EUR

Reshoot costs depending of by whom the error was made.
---
Hope this is of any help.

Philippe

P.S.:
1) straightforward packshots (white background, not too complicated):
between 150 EUR and 500 EUR per shot, NO rights counted whatsoever.
2) Stockshots: see their sites. Prices are considerably lower, unless with
total buyouts.